Saturday, June 24, 2006

Inking


Ok where was I... Oh yeah Inking comics. I like it. I started out using almost all quill, but due to bad paper made the shift to brush, and now I found good Paper, so I can use quill as well.

I met Joe Sinnott at a Boston Show and he told me he was all quill now(102), and he does his Spider-Man dailies that way. They looked liked brush.

I used about 50/50 I think on the Nick Fury he drew. I love his style of comic art.

I Am Trying to get the feathering thing down. I had a metal rod go thhrough my wrist and up my arm and it took a while, but have now gotten really good control to ink, so I have no excuse not to get smoother with practice.


This is a New Avengers Cover I inked (Johnny Dell Inked the Published version). Jimmy Cheung penciled this cover and Johnny Dell turned it into a great cover. I thought I would see how close I could get to keeping the lines true.

It is no small task inking Cheung, he is such a tremendous penciler that varying from what he lays down will stick out like a sore thumb.

Unless you are better than the penciler or Bob McLeod ('cause he is just too good. See his site of the same name.), than it is best to follow the lines, adding proper line weights and shading in the form of hatch work.


Here is a really cool artist, Ed McGuinness. Here is a Superman Cover (I ask Forgiveness but the published inker escapes me. I will put his name up as soon as I learn it.)
I really like his work and the only thing I did was remove the halo around all the parts. I don't know why but I do not like halos because I do not see them. It may be the Eisner, Wood influence of comic art, where everything was backlit.

In Ed's art it fits though, because it is a cartoony style. I just wanted to see what would happen if I inked it.

Anyway I used a lot of brush on these and if I forgot, I am now using Windsor and Newton Series 7 #2 brushes. 102 Crow Quill and #512 as well as Pelican Black ink. When using my own paper I will now use only EON's Paper.

Next: I butcher Jim Lee's stuff...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter